Whether you simply opt for painting your nails in the Olympic colours or a national flag of your choice, or even a mix of both (as in the tutorial) you are certain to catch people’s attention!
This tutorial may seem only for the experienced however with some tips and tricks even the most novice out there can give this a go.
1.First paint your nails alternate blue and white and leave to fully dry.
2.Next using a nail brush/nail art pen paint a thick cross in white on each blue painted nail.
*Tip* If you don’t have a nail art brush use a cleaned applicator from any liquid/glitter eyeliner.
3. Once you are happy with the shape of the main cross add a cross the opposite way. You then want to leave the nails to dry and focus on the white nails.
4. For this part you will need a roll of nail striping tape or some masking tape. Each nail will need 6 strips which are better to be cut and stuck to the edge of a surface in advance so that you can use the pieces as you need them. Next, carefully apply the strips diagonally onto the nails making sure they are the same width apart. You can pull the strips up and lay them back down until you have them how you want them.
5. Next pour out a little of each shade you are going to be using on to a piece of paper (blue, black, red, yellow and green) and dip your nail brush into the first shade and slowly dab in-between the nail striping tape. Do this with each colour, cleaning the brush with nail polish remover after each use so not to mix the shades. Leave to dry – this is important!
6. Going back to your union jack nails you want to slowly go over the white cross with red nail polish using a nail art brush.
7. Once you are certain the rest of your nails are fully dry you want to slowly peel the striping tape off individually. The best way to do this is to lift each one up using a pair of tweezers.
8. If you have any nail polish around the nails clean up with a cotton bud dripped into nail polish remover.
9. To finish simply apply your favourite top coat over each nail. Or if you want to make your nails extra special you can add glitter!